> Some free configuration advice:
>
> * You should increase your ``table_cache'' variable, ``Opens'' is much
>   higher than ``Open_tables'' indicating that MySQL is having to close
>   other tables in order to open some for new clients.

I've thought about that and even tried a couple different configurations
however I seemed to get a worse performance.  However that was in early 3.23
stages....perhaps it is time to relook at some of the configuration
variables....thanks for the tip =)

> Anyhow, in the above config, the high count of Threads may lead to an
> unstable machine particularly on Linux with large per thread caches
> (there is an equation in the MySQL manual somewhere for this). I'll bet
> he is using PHP and Apache and has persistent connection on PHP and
> Keep-Alive on Apache.

Actually the machine has been quite stable for me.  And although I am using
PHP mainly to do all the scripting I need with MySQL I am not using apache
at all =)  The server is basically a high end data miner for about 20k other
servers constantly recording data.  The only time I ever experience problems
was using a 2.2.x kernel where the MySQL tables kept corrupting on
me....when I switched to 2.4 that problem was resolved.  Also when I tried
using Slackware 8.0 I took a major performance hit....doing only about 30
QPS the server was having significant problems, when I moved back to 7.1 the
problems poofed (quick little FYI for ye ol' slackware users)

> A quick (partial) fix is to use MM inside PHP so persistent connections
> act as expected (i.e. shared between processes). Even easier (sloppier)
> fix is to not use Keep-Alive, use persistent connections, but have the
> timeout inside mysql be a couple of seconds. That gets a better match
> between active http processes and mysql threads with the least bit of
> effort.

Since typically the processes always retain their same connection this
doesn't apply to me.  But thank you very much for the tip.  It will be
definately something I look at when developing more interactive applications
online =)

Sincerely,

Craig Vincent