Greetings - I believe I have a new flavor of this error.  I am running
mysql  Ver 11.13 Distrib 3.23.36, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386) on Red Hat
Linux release 7.0 (Guinness) Kernel 2.4.2-2smp on an i686 (the database
host) I have two machines running mysql  Ver 11.12 Distrib 3.23.32, for
redhat-linux-gnu (i386) on Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness) Kernel
2.2.16-22 on an i586 (the client hosts) The 586 boxes are running ICRADIUS
version 0.17b build Feb  1 2001 which (used to) connect through a Perl DBI
interface.  One of the client machines is connected on a full duplex
100MBps Fast Ethernet network, the second of the two is connected through
dual frame relay T1's to our router and then through the Fast Ethernet.
When RADIUS starts it continually tries to connect to the 686 database
host.  The .err file starts generating error messages similar to:

011127  4:39:31  Aborted connection 9961 to db: 'radius' user: 'radius'
host: `radius2.aix.cc' (Got an error reading communication packets)

Now for the new stuff --

If I attempt to connect to the database host via the mysql command line
client with the same username and password it works from both the local and
remote hosts.  I can see the databases, select the desired database and run
queries with expected results.

I also use the database host to authenticate my mail users using pam_mysql
and this works fine.  This machine is running mysql  Ver 11.12 Distrib
3.23.32, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386) on Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
Kernel 2.2.19pre16ext3 on a 2-processor i686  It is connected on the same
switched Fast Ethernet.

I've searched the mail archives and found some answers indicating that the
full duplex connection is the issue.  This setup has worked perfectly for
over a year on the existing hardware.  We first started having issues with
the remote machine (the one on the other end of the frame relay T1's)  In
an effort to fix that machine I restarted mysql on the database host
(several times :-/ )  After the first restart the local machine (the one
directly connected to the Fast Ethernet) started generating the same
errors.  To my knowledge the server and client configurations have not
changed.  I have power cycled all the affected equipment (database host,
client host and the intervening Fast Ethernet Switch) all with no effect.
I also tried upping the connect_timeout and net_read_timeout, again, with
no effect.  In an effort to get my system back up I tried ftp'ing the
radius database files from the database host to the client host and use the
local server.  The local server also generates pretty much the same message:

011127  5:02:25  Aborted connection 211 to db: 'radius' user: 'radius'
host: `localhost' (Got an error reading communication packets)

I'm pretty sure that I *DON'T* have a network problem as I can telnet among
the hosts just fine and I can connect to the web interface of ICRADIUS and
see the same sad story in the logs.  The ftp of some very large files (52MB
and 92MB) ran normally with a consistent 840K/s transfer rate.  I'm running
out of rabbits here and didn't find the fix in the 223 hits that searching
the mail list archives for "Error reading communication packets" will
return.  I thought I'd submit this to the list for your consideration.  My
users will be waking up soon and the are *NOT* going to be happy that they
can't login.  *ANY* assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I'd prefer
not to recompile this stuff...after all it worked before and restarted just
fine *THREE* times last week...but I won't go into that <1/2g>   Please
reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as I am not subscribed to the list.  A virtual
beverage to the clever person with the clue.  Thank you, in advance, for
your assistance.

Regards
Mike

PS.  I'm off to deja.com to try the same search as suggested in one of the
posts to this list.