Gordan Bobic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tuesday 27 Nov 2001 04:11, Ady Wicaksono wrote:
> > gcc 2.96 has bugs that affect MySQL, what bug ?
>
> A number of bugs, and they don't just affect MySQL - there is a number of
> packages that break when compiled using GCC-2.96. Some examples that I
> presonally ran into at some point are:
>
> mPlayer

That is known to be mplayer problems. Same problems in their assembly
as with gcc 3.0

> InterBase DBD driver

Haven't seen.

> There are more, I just can't remember right now. You will find that the
> kernel, for example, is compiled using kgcc under RedHat v7.X. kgcc is an
> older version of gcc (egcs, actually) that actually works. Try kgcc --version.
>
> > RedHat 7.1 and RedHat 7.2 comes with gcc 2.96
>
> And 7.0. 7.2 Also ships with GCC-3.0, which is actually a production release
> compiler, unlike the 2.96 version, which was a pre-release development
> snapshot.

Uh...

gcc 2.96RH is production quality, and the standard compiler. Gcc 3.0
is known to be buggy, and not of production quality. It's not used for
anything, it's just a preview (it has more bugs, but it's also closer
to the C++ standard than gcc 2.96RH).

> RedHat have been flamed repeatedly since the release of RH7 over
> this.

By people not knowing what they're talking about. I'm not impressed by
idiots who have bugs in their code, won't receive patches and requires
you to type in untrue statements about the compiler (mplayer).

> Just download GCC-2.95.2.1 and the PGCC patches

pgcc? Now that's a known good compiler. Not.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.