Hi!

<cut>

> >How-To-Repeat:
>         Create table with field-type of TEXT.
>         CREATE INDEX AnyName ON Table(TextField);
>         Issue an update to a pre-existing record for the incorrectly indexed
>TextField.
> >Fix:
>         mysql should throw an error to the client if request is made to index a
> text field without arity; or assume 255 (which works okay).

I just tested this with the upcoming MySQL 4.0.1:

mysql> create table t1 (a text);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> CREATE INDEX t1 ON t1(a);
ERROR 1170: BLOB column 'a' used in key specification without a key length

If you don't get the same error with your MySQL version, then it's
likely that this error is already fixed.

If you get the error, but can some other way create a wrong index,
please create a full bug report and we will try to fix this!

Regards,
Monty