It has a command prompt, and is virtually identical to Linux or any
POSIX-compliant Unix system (from a user's point of view), but the big
difference (from a user's point of view) is that instead of using text
files such as /etc/passwd (and numerous other configuration files), this
information is stored in a database called NetInfo.  NetInfo is probably
the big barrier for a lot of Darwin users who are more familiar with
Linux, because many system-level commands work differently now.  The
advantage to NetInfo really only applies to networked computers (it
gives sysadmins a centralized place to make changes and then distributes
the changes throughout the network), IMHO the home user is better served
with the simple Linux-style text document way of storing system
information.  But NetInfo is also aimed at Mac Users in that you can
access this database with a GUI tool called NetInfo Manager (what
else?).  NetInfo is supposedly just as powerful as the Linux-style
plaintext way of storing data, perhaps even more so, but it needs to be
learned and is unfamiliar to those of us who come from Linux
backgrounds.  I could be wrong, but I think it is an idea that is taken
from NeXT.  (anyone care to clarify?)

-- Erik