Hi!

On Dec 05, Tobias Crush wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We am currently investigating the possiblity of migrating a legacy app from
> Informix C-ISAM files to MySQL.  To do this we are looking to be able to
> retain the core application code as unchanged as possible.
>
> What we want to do is be able to develop a new front end that accesses the
> data through the normal MySQL channels AND use the existing legacy
> application code to access the datafiles directly as they currently do.
>
> Has anyone attempted to run a MySQL database with updates occuring through a
> front end accessing the database through the regular database managment
> engine and direct file updates happening from legacy code in the background?
> Is it possible.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Tobias Crush
> Senior Consultant
> Partnership Technology Group

It is possible.
Exactly for this task we developed a HANDLER command.
MySQL translates it directly into low-level ISAM commands.
It looks like this:

  HANDLER table OPEN
  HANDLER table READ NEXT|PREV|FIRST|LAST|key=....
  HANDLER table CLOSE

This way you can directly translate your c-isam calls into HANDLER
commands.

This command is available in 4.0.0
If you have a support contract we can backport this feature to 3.23
with a customized patch.

Regards,
Sergei

--