On Wednesday 05 December 2001 05:51 am, Ian Moss wrote:
> System: Linux proserver 2.2.14 #1 Sat Mar 25 00:45:35 GMT 2000 i686 unknown
> Architecture: i686
>
> Basically its all a lie that linux is more stable than windoze.
> I've run mysql on pc's over the last year with no problems at all.
> The amount of problems I've had with it Suse Linux is stupid.

First, your problem very likely is that you are using SuSE 6.x which had a
"safety" patch that break our binary. Upgrade your system to SuSE 7.2 for
best results, or if that is too much hassle and you want a quick fix with an
RPM, upgrade the kernel package to 2.2.16  - they cleaned up the safety patch
in that version so our binary can run on it.

Second, do not get frustrated with Linux. From the comments you have made it
sounds like you have not had a lot of Linux experience. Just be patient and
gain some. Things do not always work out of the box. The power of Linux is
not in plug-and-play works-great-with-defaults - it is in the ability to
customize the system to make it do what you want it to. The price to pay for
that is that you have to know what you are doing, and this comes after you've
invested some time and effort into understanding how things work.

--
MySQL Development Team
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/