In General Terms:

Most default linux installs do not allow root user to telnet in to the
machine, this is good as a default.
You need to add the user that you do logon as to the MySQL permissions. This
can be found in the manual.
To access your MySQL db from Access, all you need to do is install the
MySQLODBC driver and setup an ODBC source to point the your server. You
should enter another User to MySQL for this, and allow only that user from a
specific IP address(the machine access is on).
You do not need Samba for this.