In 3.23 or later: Just specify an ID of 1000 when you insert your first
record.  If every record thereafter is INSERTed with ID = NULL (or just
not specified), then AUTO_INCREMENT will automatically bump up each ID
field by one after the first one.  If you are loading data from
mysqlimport or LOAD DATA, you can insert a fake record with no values
*except* ID, and specify ID = 999 .

I got this information from "MySQL" by Paul DuBois (p. 93).  I had just
read that part of the book yesterday.  Recommended!

-- Erik