On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:39:18AM +1000, Arjen G. Lentz wrote:

> Well, you have to realise that the server can only use a one index
> per table (for obvious reasons).

That's far from being obvious to a lot of folks...

> You can actually split a table into multiple identical ones, by
> using MERGE tables (see manual).  But that just makes managing them
> easier (and inserts into one table faster), it wouldn't speed up
> your SELECT.

In fact, doing so introduces a bit more overhead.

> > So i wonder if there's any way to optimise MySQL so that i will be
> > able to actually do a SELECT on those tables.  Maybe tweak
> > parameters like join_buffer_size? table_cache? Anyone has some
> > experience with these?... What's the best way to optimize MySQL
> > for running SELECTs on multiple large tables?
>
> Yes, server settings are important, and the 'right' settings depend
> on your system (amount of RAM, etc) as well as on your database and
> the type of queries that you run most often.

And pick up a copy of the December Linux Magazine.  There's an article
on MySQL Server Tuning in there.  It'll be on the web in a couple
months, too.

> There is no magic wand, I'm afraid. But... you may find it
> advantagious to do a MySQL training course
> (www.mysql.com/training/). Optimisation is a very important part of
> the course material, in this message I've just touched briefly on a
> few little items.

Good plan, too. :-)

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 7 days, processed 157,486,781 queries (257/sec. avg)