Hi,

I am new to MySQL and installed the Win2000 version on my labtop. I had no
problems until I got to the security part and did the following according to
the docs:

The default privileges on Windows give all local users full privileges to
all databases without specifying a password. To make MySQL more secure, you
should set a password for all users and remove the row in the mysql.user
table that has Host='localhost' and User=''.
You should also add a password for the root user. The following example
starts by removing the anonymous user that can be used by anyone to access
the test database, then sets a root user password:
C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysql mysql
mysql> DELETE FROM user WHERE Host='localhost' AND User='';
mysql> QUIT
C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin reload
C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root password your_password
After you've set the password, if you want to take down the mysqld server,
you can do so using this command:
C:\> mysqladmin --user=root --password=your_password shutdown

After this step I found I was unable to start up the mysqld server. So
today, I dropped the database, removed the service and started again

        =>>> mysqld-max --basedir=c:/mysql --datadir=c:/mysql/data
-standalone

The database and service created successfully but I am still unable to start
or connect to anything

These are errors I see

1. C:\mysql\bin>mysql mysql
        ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

2. The error in the file 'MYSQL.ERR'  is
        mysqld-max: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

3. And cannot start the service MYSQL

Error
C:\mysql\bin>NET START MySQL
The MySql service is starting.
The MySql service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly.

If any one can help, I would be very grateful

thanks,

Anne-Marie