I can tell you how we solved this problem.

we have a 24/7 op where we need to constantly pull data from mysql
machines.  This data can be updated at anytime by our tools, but the
live servers will only be reading data.  So we have one machine which is
connected to our tools box, this is where all of our updates go, then we
use one way mysql replication to the 2 machines we have in the
datacenter.  Our app picks one of these at random, if it can't get a
connection, it will try the other one.  We find that we actually get
pretty good load balancing on these machines.  We've also been able to
turn off one machine to do upgrades and such, and found that we don't
suffer any downtime.  btw, the machines that are in prod are Sun E250's
but the machine that is connected to the tools is a linux box.  I don't
see any problems doing this with linux hardware, we just prefer sun's
for our prod db's.

hope this helps..

--shak

  Shakeel Sorathia