Just to add a few side notes.

We have 2 MySQL's running on a RH/Linux 6.2 box, and it has proven to be very
stable and very reliable. :)

We have approx., 30+ clients that use the one of the MySQL servers, and we set
up each client with a .my.cnf in each of the respective root directories:

/home/<user_name>/.my.cnf

so when they login thru the shell, all they need to do is type in at the prompt:

$bash mysql

and they are logged into their database. We do use their UN*X account username
and password, as they find this easier then trying to remember separate
username/password or password to access the MySQL client.

This has worked very well for us :)

>On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:46:19 -0500, Erik Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   wrote:

>>Good move.
>>
>>> 1) when I am logged into linux as "user1" and I create a database, does
>>> this mean that my username and password for the database will be the
>>> same as the linux login, or do you have to set username and password
>>> when you are creating the database?
>>
>>Some people are confused by the way MySQL keeps track of users because
>>MySQL also features a user called "root" (like in Unix/Linux).  But be
>>assured that you must create your users in MySQL (using GRANT commands)
>>separate from your Unix/Linux users.  For sake of ease, you can use the
>>same names, but you don't have to.  If you're in Linux, logged in as
>>User1, you can log in to MySQL as User55 like this:
>>
>>$ bin/mysql -u User55 -p samp_db
>>
>>or you can just let the mysql client program assume that you want to log
>>in to MySQL under the same name as your current Linux username (User1)
>>like this:
>>
>>$ bin/mysql -p samp_db
>>
>>see?  Omit the -u argument and the mysql client uses your Unix/Linux
>>username as the MySQL username.  Note that the -p flag is optional if
>>you do not have a password set for that particular MySQL account.

Mike(mickalo)Blezien
Thunder Rain Internet Publishing
Providing Internet Solutions that work!
http://www.thunder-rain.com