I have a system with 1gig of ram and i am trying to get the innodb buffer to
be about 750megs. Whenever I set the value in the database config file it
won't start with an error along the lines of,

011207 21:02:42  mysqld started
InnoDB: Fatal error: cannot allocate 67108864 bytes of
InnoDB: memory with malloc! Total allocated memory
InnoDB: by InnoDB 484667027 bytes. Operating system errno: 12
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation!
InnoDB: Check if you should increase the swap file or
InnoDB: ulimits of your operating system.
011207 21:02:44  mysqld ended

I have 1gig of ram and a 1gig swap file.
Any ideas why it won't assign more than roughly 450megs of memory to mysql?

Rich