From: René Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon Dec 03, 2001  06:11:23  PM US/Mountain
To: Benjamin Pflugmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MySQL ORDER BY or PHP Sort? Oops.

Here is the snippet of code that is presenting a challenge:

<?php

// FETCH MODELS TECH SPECS

function models ($lang,$db) {
        $modelsheader = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM models
WHERE lang='$lang' AND key1='header'",$db));
        $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM models WHERE key1='data' ORDER
BY price ASC",$db);
        mysql_close();
        include ('../common/models.inc');
}

models($lang,$db);

// CREATE A MULTI-DIMENSIONAL MODELS ARRAYS BASED ON THE NUMBER OF MODEL
ROWS IN THE TABLE

$i = 0;
do {
$allmodels[$i] = $models;
$i++;
} while ($models = mysql_fetch_array($result));

// NUMBER OF MODELS

$first = 1;
$last = sizeof($allmodels)-1;
$colspan = ($last * 2)+1;

?>
The problem is, if I sort by the price field, the ordering of the series
gets mixed up (since low-end models in higher-end series cost more than
some higher-end models in lower-end series (confused?? I am :-)  If I
just sort by series, I don't get the prices in order within each series
(big problem). And if I sort by BOTH series and price, which is the
logical thing to do, and which many people have kindly suggested (and
which I have tried), well, it doesn't work, because the series must be
sorted in a non-alphabetical way.

I've looked at PHP's myriad sorting functions, and well--maybe I need
more sun (I live in Canada... winter...)--I can't see a 'simple' way to
do a non-numerical, non-alphabetical (user-defined?) sort on the Series
fields, then subsort each series by price.

Many thanks for all the help, fellas.

...Rene