Hi.

You can use the built-in replication feature to sync a MySQL instance
on the web server (slave) with the database server (master). Then you
always have a recent snapshot of the database.

You can also use the database on the slave to make your backups.
Temporarily halt replication, make your backup and afterwards let it
continue. It will automatically catch up with the current content.
You'll want to compare the database content once or twice until you
trust the replicated copy enough, before relying on it.

This will usually work fine, because the slave only will have to
execute the queries, which modify the database, which usually are only
a fraction of the full traffic.

The only question is whether your web server will stand up alone as
web and database server, when your database server fails. But it will
definitely be better than having no redundancy at all.

Bye,

        Philemon.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]