Hello All,

I am running a mysql DB that is a little under 8Gb in size.  I have this
same DB running in two separate environments (1 a FreeBSD environment
running on a single Pentium III 900 Mhz CPU w/128 Mb of RAM, and the 2nd one
on a Sun (sparc) solaris 8 ultra enterprise 420R with 4 Gb of RAM and 4 x
450 Mhz CPU's).  The FreeBSD PC outperforms the Sun box 100% or better.  I
perform a load on the FreeBSD box and it completes on 13 hours, the Sun box
takes 21.5 hours or longer.  I also do run other jobs on this DB and in all
cases, the PC significantly outperforms the Sun box.

The data is the same (an exact copy).  I am using the same versions of the
mysql distribution (obviously I don't just copy of the binaries.  I have
tried the Solaris 8 mysql install from source and I also tried the mysql
binary for Solaris 8, but neither of the two showed any improvement in
performance.  The Sun box is also on a EMC symmetric with 8 Gb of cache and
the filesystems are stripped across several disks.  The PC is a simple 5400
RPM ide drive.

I tried to rule out the OS and hardware of this 420 by installing the same
mysql database on a Sun solaris 2.6 ultra enterprise 450 with internal disks
(not on a EMC RAID), but that is even longer.  I expected the 2.6 load to
take over 40 hours so I eventually killed the process after 24 hours.  I
also ran the Solaris 8 environment in both 32 bit and 64 bit with 0 change
in performance.

The documentation states that Solaris 7 and Solaris 8 are the best OS
environments in which to run mysql, however this does not seem to be the
case.

Any help on what I should do here would be much appreciated.  The Sun boxes
are not sweating at all.  Their cpu's are idle 74% of the time, their is no
memory issue (shown via vmstat), no i/o issue shown via vxstat (I'm running
Veritas' filesystems and volume manager on these boxes), nor Sun's iostat
utility.

Thanks,

Matt