I'm new to mysql, but going on ...

I've set up user jupshoes to the data base phpbook with the GRANT command:

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP
           ON phpbook.*
           TO jupshoes@localhost
           IDENTIFIED BY 'jupshoes';

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP
           ON phpbook.*
           TO jupshoes@panera
           IDENTIFIED BY 'jupshoes';

After that I've checked  there are the related entries in to the user and
the database tables.

And now I want to populate the database, but the user jupshoes can't even
see the database:

(The user jupshoes connects to the host panera via TELNET)

$ mysql -ujupshoes -pjupshoes phpbook
unknown database

or

mysql>select* from phpbook;
No data base selected

or

$ mysql -ujupshoes -pjupshoes phpbook<phpbook.sql        (to populate the
table)
Unknown database

What is going wrong?

Thanks in advance!