Thanks Brent,

Yes, I too can import with LOAD DATA and mysqlimport, but the thing that's
irritating is that I have to create the tables first in order to import the
data in either case.

With a 'regular' import from a dumped table, mysql should be able to read
the SQL statements within the dump file to create the table(s) AND then
populate them with the data. Job done in one hit!

I'd appreciate if you could try this on your system and let me know how you
get on!