No, it's not accepting NULL if it was declared as NOT NULL.
It's just accepting an empty sting ( "" ).

CREATE TABLE test (t VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL);
INSERT INTO test SET t = NULL;
INSERT INTO test SET t = '';

First insert will tell you what you're waiting for. And the second one
will do what you're asking for.

Empty string is not NULL.

sreedhar wrote:

    s: Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:12:41 +0530
    s: From: sreedhar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    s: To: mysql <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    s: Subject: NOT NULL field accepting NULL
    s:
    s: Hi All,
    s:
    s: In MySQL, Even i declared a field as NOT NULL it is accepting nulls .What
    s: might be the
    s: problem. please let me know.
    s:
    s: regards,
    s: sreedhar
    s:
    s:
    s: ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    s: Before posting, please check:
    s:    http://www.mysql.com/manual.php   (the manual)
    s:
    s: To request this thread, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    s: To unsubscribe, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    s: Trouble unsubscribing? Try: http://lists.mysql.com/php/unsubscribe.php
    s:

--
Sherzod Ruzmetov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>