Greg,

> I have a MySQL database with a table (job_table) containing information
> concerning jobs I run. Among the fields on the table are job_id
> (varchar(10)), and timestamp (a timestamp).  As I run jobs, I add an entry
> to the table with the job_id, timestamp, and associated information, so the
> table contains multiple entries for any given job_id.  I would like to be
> able to run a select on the table to retrieve the latest entry for each
> job_id so I can display a "latest status" message for every job.  How do I
> (assuming that I can) construct the SELECT statement to do this?

=it appears that what you want is to group the job table rows by job_id and then take
the most recent row as
defined by the timestamp field.

=The function required to choose the 'latest' (highest number) timestamp is
appropriately enough called
MAXIMUM(). In order to get the count to apply to a particular set of job_id  rows use
the GROUP BY clause (of
SELECT).

=Please check out the online manual for syntax and wider explanations.

=dn