I compiled without problem mysql on Redhat linux 7.1

I have just started the sever using nohup /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld &
This started fine without problem.

as I am used to using Oracle and new to mysql I decided to do an
mysql_install_db which prompted me saying
remember to change password using mysqladmin -p password `password`

I did this and it asked me for a password ??????

what is the password and how do I change it.

This command to me suggests that -p password enters the password "password"
and the `password` is the new password ???

can someone explain  ??

Thanks,

Matt.