It's not the IN, it's the sub-query you cannot use. MySQL doesn't support
them and it's just about the main reason I don't like it.

Alternatives? You could execute your subquery and return the results to an
array. Loop through the array, using the index and the indexed element to
drive a series of queries, accumulating your results as you go.

If the number of items return by the subquery is not large, you could build
an "in set", for lack of a better term, so you would end up with " ... and
IN ("first", "second", ..."nth") ". (Check syntax!!) But that's likely to
be slower than cold molasses and run like a pig.

If you're not too far into the project, and you will have a lot of
subqueries, switch to PostgreSQL or a database that supports them.

I don't really have an answer. I hope someone comes up with a more elegant
solution.

Regards - Miles Thompson