I installed Slackware 8.0 and used its pkgtool to install MySQL. After
running mysql_install_db which seems to be ok, I tried starting safe_mysql
which didn't work. No sinifiant error message was shown, so I tried
mysql.server start which also didn't work. After all this, I tried starting
via
# /usr/libexec/mysqld --user=myqsl --help
   and I got this :

/usr/libexec/mysqld Ver 3.23.39 for slackware-linux-gnu on i386

Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB, by Monty and others

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,

and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Starts the MySQL server

Usage: /usr/libexec/mysqld [OPTIONS]

--ansi Use ANSI SQL syntax instead of MySQL syntax

-b, --basedir=path Path to installation directory. All paths are

usually resolved relative to this

--big-tables Allow big result sets by saving all temporary sets

on file (Solves most 'table full' errors)

--bind-address=IP Ip address to bind to

--bootstrap Used by mysql installation scripts

--character-sets-dir=...

Directory where character sets are

--chroot=path Chroot mysqld daemon during startup

--core-file Write core on errors

-h, --datadir=path Path to the database root

--default-character-set=charset

Set the default character set

--default-table-type=type

Set the default table type for tables

--delay-key-write-for-all-tables

Don't flush key buffers between writes for any MyISAM

table

--enable-locking Enable system locking

-T, --exit-info Used for debugging; Use at your own risk!

--flush Flush tables to disk between SQL commands

-?, --help Display this help and exit

--init-file=file Read SQL commands from this file at startup

-L, --language=... Client error messages in given language. May be

given as a full path

-l, --log[=file] Log connections and queries to file

--log-bin[=file] Log queries in new binary format (for replication)

--log-bin-index=file File that holds the names for last binary log files

--log-update[=file] Log updates to file.# where # is a unique number

if not given.

--log-isam[=file] Log all MyISAM changes to file

--log-long-format Log some extra information to update log

--low-priority-updates INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE has lower priority than selects

--log-slow-queries=[file]

Log slow queries to this log file. Defaults logging

to hostname-slow.log

--pid-file=path Pid file used by safe_mysqld

--myisam-recover[=option[,option...]] where options is one of DEAULT,

BACKUP or FORCE.

--memlock Lock mysqld in memory

-n, --new Use very new possible 'unsafe' functions

-o, --old-protocol Use the old (3.20) protocol

-P, --port=... Port number to use for connection

-O, --set-variable var=option

Give a variable an value. --help lists variables

-Sg, --skip-grant-tables

Start without grant tables. This gives all users

FULL ACCESS to all tables!

--safe-mode Skip some optimize stages (for testing)

--skip-concurrent-insert

Don't use concurrent insert with MyISAM

--skip-delay-key-write

Ignore the delay_key_write option for all tables

--skip-host-cache Don't cache host names

--skip-locking Don't use system locking. To use isamchk one has

to shut down the server.

--skip-name-resolve Don't resolve hostnames.

All hostnames are IP's or 'localhost'

--skip-networking Don't allow connection with TCP/IP.

--skip-new Don't use new, possible wrong routines.

--skip-stack-trace Don't print a stack trace on failure

--skip-show-database Don't allow 'SHOW DATABASE' commands

--skip-thread-priority

Don't give threads different priorities.

--socket=... Socket file to use for connection

-t, --tmpdir=path Path for temporary files

--transaction-isolation

Default transaction isolation level

--temp-pool Use a pool of temporary files

-u, --user=user_name Run mysqld daemon as user

-V, --version output version information and exit

Default options are read from the following files in the given order:

/etc/my.cnf /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf ~/.my.cnf

The following groups are read: mysqld server

The following options may be given as the first argument:

--print-defaults Print the program argument list and exit

--no-defaults Don't read default options from any options file

--defaults-file=# Only read default options from the given file #

--defaults-extra-file=# Read this file after the global files are read

To see what values a running MySQL server is using, type

'mysqladmin variables' instead of 'mysqld --help'.

The default values (after parsing the command line arguments) are:

basedir: /usr/

datadir: /var/lib/mysql/

tmpdir: /tmp/

language: /usr/share/mysql/english/

pid file: /var/lib/mysql/psycho.pid

TCP port: 3306

Unix socket: /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock

system locking is not in use

Possible variables for option --set-variable (-O) are:

back_log current value: 50

binlog_cache_size current value: 32768

connect_timeout current value: 5

delayed_insert_timeout current value: 300

delayed_insert_limit current value: 100

delayed_queue_size current value: 1000

flush_time current value: 0

interactive_timeout current value: 28800

join_buffer_size current value: 131072

key_buffer_size current value: 8388600

long_query_time current value: 10

lower_case_table_names current value: 0

max_allowed_packet current value: 1048576

max_binlog_cache_size current value: 4294967295

max_binlog_size current value: 1073741824

max_connections current value: 100

max_connect_errors current value: 10

max_delayed_threads current value: 20

max_heap_table_size current value: 16777216

max_join_size current value: 4294967295

max_sort_length current value: 1024

max_tmp_tables current value: 32

max_user_connections current value: 0

max_write_lock_count current value: 4294967295

myisam_sort_buffer_size current value: 8388608

myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size current value: 256

myisam_max_sort_file_size current value: 2047

net_buffer_length current value: 16384

net_retry_count current value: 10

net_read_timeout current value: 30

net_write_timeout current value: 60

open_files_limit current value: 0

query_buffer_size current value: 0

record_buffer current value: 131072

slow_launch_time current value: 2

sort_buffer current value: 2097144

table_cache current value: 64

thread_concurrency current value: 10

thread_cache_size current value: 0

tmp_table_size current value: 33554432

thread_stack current value: 65536

wait_timeout current value: 28800

   I understand a lot of things here are useless but I don't want to ommit
anything important. Can anyone tell me why does it refuse to start ?
   PS: If I don't include the --help option I get:

011214 20:23:22   /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
(errno: 13)

   I tried putting the host.frm file in its path, in /usr/libexec/mysql but
nothing seems to work.

PS: Please include me in CC because I didn't subscribe yet.

                    Thank you