I am currently trying to optimize the indexes / keys for the MySQL
  schema of phpOpenTracker.

  I'm wondering if multiple keys, like

    CREATE TABLE pot_accesslog (
      accesslog_id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
      client_id    int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
      document_id  int(11)          NOT NULL,
      timestamp    int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,

      PRIMARY KEY (accesslog_id, client_id, document_id, timestamp)
    );

  would be better than single keys for each column, like

    CREATE TABLE pot_accesslog (
      accesslog_id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
      client_id    int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
      document_id  int(11)          NOT NULL,
      timestamp    int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,

      KEY accesslog_id (accesslog_id),
      KEY client_id    (client_id),
      KEY document_id  (document_id),
      KEY timestamp    (timestamp)
    );

  Have a look at

    http://www.sebastian-bergmann.de/single_keys.htm

  for a version of the schema that uses single keys, together with
  the output of EXPLAIN(query) for some of phpOpenTracker most commonly
  used queries.

  Have a look at

    http://www.sebastian-bergmann.de/multi_keys.htm

  for a version of the schema that uses multiple keys, together with
  the output of EXPLAIN(query) for some of phpOpenTracker most commonly
  used queries.

  It'd be really great if some kind soul could have a look at this and
  tell me what indexing strategy is suited best for this problem.

  Thanks & Greetings,
Sebastian

--
  Sebastian Bergmann