Joe Ellis wrote:

 > i believe your talking about VNC.
 > http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

 > Jack A. Fobel wrote:
 >> I remember seeing a program awhile back that acts like pcanywhere or
 >> terminal services, to connect to a linux or windows box. Anyone
 >> remember the name?

To connect to Windows machines, VNC works just like pcAnywhere (though it
puts a lot more strain on the server you're connecting to if you have a lot
of DOS/NT command windows open on its display - pcAnywhere does a better
job with command windows).  You get to see the desktop on the remote
machine, and manipulate applications on it.

However, when connecting to Linux and other Unix boxes, you don't get to
actually see the contents of DISPLAY :0. Instead, you get a whole fresh new
display (:1), on which you can start your own clients. So basically, you
can interact with the system, but not with the applications running on the
existing default desktop on the system.

It's quicker and less CPU-intensive for the remote system for you to just
telnet in to the system, instead of VNC'ing in. The only time VNC helps is
if you need to run a GUI application on the target system, and you don't
have an X server handy on your desktop, but do have a browser (i.e. you are
on a Windows or Mac box without an X server).  (PS There are free
Windows-based X servers available at Tucows - http://www.tucows.com).

--
Shankar.