> Hi all,
> Ive recently been made aware of a glitch in MySQL
> regarding locked at the table level (instead of row)
> when a record is being updated.
>
> Is this still a problem in Version 3.23.46?
>
> Has it been fixed in 4.0.0? And if so, when is a
> stable version of 4.0 likely to be released?

    Well the table locking issue isn't a glitch, rather a drawback to using
the ISAM/MyISAM table style.  As far as I am aware.  There is no way to get
around this unless you're using MySQL 4.x ....in 4.x you can changed your
tables into InnoDB format which if I remember correctly does support row
level locking.  However there are drawbacks to using InnoDB as well (granted
there are significant enchancements as well).  The best thing to do is to
research what the InnoDB format has to offer and decide from there.

Just a few things to note:

- I've been using MySQL 4.0 for a few months now with some highly stressed
usage (about 400 queries per second on average).  This includes
inserts/replaces/updates/deletes and a few delayed inserts from time to
time.  I've never had a crash, any form of data corruption   Although you
should test it thoroughly first for your needs 4.0 imo is more than stable
enough for production use

- Is the table level locking on inserts that much of an issue for you?  For
the most part INSERTS/UPDATES take virtually no time at all and for the many
years I've been developing applications w/ it...due to that speed the fact
the tables are locked has never been noticable with the very extreme
exception.  There's also the option of using the DELAYED options with
inserts/updates provided you don't require those inserts/updates changes to
be instantaneous for other use.

Sincerely,

Craig Vincent