> > Does anyone know why it is that the MyODBC authors prefer not to allow
> > that to be distributed in the unixODBC package, or with distros (eg the
> > SuSE CDs don't contain it)?
>
> Peter will answer this, why MyODBC is not included in
> unixODBC distribution :)
>
> Peter, any comments .. ?
>
> > Is it a licensing issue, something to do with the ODBC spec, or just
> > plain "don't want to do that, so there" (which, I hasten to add, is
> > perfectly acceptable)?
>
> No such, as long as it is GPL distribution.

I had it in unixODBC originally but I gather someone asked Nick to remove it.

Mind you; I just built the OSX version of MyODBC by copying all the MyODBC
source (just *.h and *.c) into the unixODBC source tree. However; I only
checked the make (actually qmake project file) into unixODBC cvs.

It was really important, when unixODBC first started, to have some drivers in
the unixODBC source tree but it less important now.

What is REALLY important is to encourage Linux, UNIX, and OSX people to put
unixODBC itself into O/S distros as a standard thing. Then allow drivers to
be added with the assumption that the O/S has some form of ODBC sub-system.
It's not as of there is some kind of overhead of having it on a system and
not being used (no processes and < 1 meg on disk for the core stuff). The
upside is significant.

Peter