Is there any upcoming fix for this recurring problem?  The table
handler is just giving poor data to the optimizer and the optimizer
is making bad decisions because of it.  It appears to come and go,
depending on data that is in the table, what's been done, etc.

To give one example, with one of our queries that does a good deal
of joining (roughly 10 tables), an optimized version needs to sift
through approximately 6500 rows.  The unoptimized version needs to
sift through 8600 rows, a 32% increase that results (in our case)
to a 20% increase in CPU usage on a dual CPU system.  Right now,
the tables are small, but we want them to get bigger, and the
unoptimized version scales *much* worse than the optimized version.

Furthermore, I thought sticking more data into the tables might
eliminate the problem as the two plans data dispersals grew further
apart, but it looks like that isn't the case.  Sometimes, converting
the tables to MyISAM (where the optimization *always* works) and
then back to InnoDB fixes it, but obviously, that's not something
you want to do on a running system.

Is there any headway being made into this problem?  I think I first
reported it back around .41 or .42.

This isn't really something a bug report can be filed on, because
it seems to be the result of a varying data group and InnoDB's
corresponding analysis, but if there's some bit of data that will
help short of the data in my database, I'll gladly pass it on.

* Philip Molter
* Texas.net Internet
* http://www.texas.net/
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]