As a designer and a coder, I have always found that it is easiest to have
the layout of the page done before adding the dynamic content.  If the
layout is done correctly, it should not be necessary to put in sample data
that has to be removed after.

After joining the workforce, as a database programmer, I now strictly code
the backend stuff, and as before, the layouts are done and I simply add the
dynamic content.

Whatever arrangement you end up with, just make sure the ground rules are in
place before you start.  It may help to have them written down (I know,
coders hate to document), as it will protect you in the future if problems
do arise.

Good luck,

Steve Osborne
Database Programmer