Martin Oldfield writes:

> I'd quite like to have the whizzy new 4.x style full text searching
> features, but I'm scared of installing 4.x on a production system, so
> I'm seeking advice.
>
> I see two options:
>
> 1. Stop fussing and install 4.x;
>
> 2. Patch 3.23.x with 4.x's full text stuff.
>
> Has anyone tried option (2), and am I being silly to worry about the
> stability of MySQL 4.x ?

Martin,

Nobody has tried this as far as I know. However, the reason that
3.23.x is considered stable is because there are no new features being
added -- only bug fixes. Any time you add new feature -- even if the
code for the new feature is stable -- you risk creating bugs in other
places.

So if you managed to make a back-port, you would probably make the
3.23.x code as unstable as 4.x. :)

Feel free to try it! But I think it is self-defeating -- if you are
considering it for a production environment. :)

My advice is to setup a test environment and try out 4.x, and submit
good bug reports to us so that 4.x can become stable faster.

    Matt

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/