From: Matt Wagner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 12:52 PM
To: Zach Curtis
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Decrypting PASSWORD() from MySQL

Zach Curtis writes:
> I have a form for a user to request their forgotten username and password
by
> entering their email address. I then process this using PHP and use mail()
> to send them their username and password. However, the password is stored
in
> an encrypted PASSWORD('password') field in the MySQL table. How can I
> retrieve the decrypted password in a SELECT statement?

Zach,

You cannot do this. PASSWORD() is one-way.

What you have to do is have two fields, 'passwd' and 'epasswd', with
'passwd' being clear-text, the other being encrypted (with PASSWORD()
or other).

If you want to obscure the clear-text field in a decodable fashion,
then check out the ENCODE()/DECODE() functions.

Note, in MySQL 4.x there will be two new functions,
DES_ENCRYPT()/DES_DECRYPT().

    Matt

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/