Am 21 Dec 2001 15:57:13 +0100 schrieb Carsten H. Pedersen:

> > I would like to know if there is a possibility to get all allowed
values
> > of an enum field out of the database.
> >
> > I know there are methods to get the field type and those give me back
> > something like "enum('value1', 'value2', 'value3')", and I can parse my
> > possible values out of this with regexp's in the Programming language of
> > my Choice, but I am interested to know if there isn't a more "beautiful"
> > possibility where Mysql gives me back the result direct.
>
> SELECT DISTINCT enum_col FROM tablename WHERE enum_col<256;

thanks for the quick reply, but this is then dependent on the fact that
there is already at least one entry for each possible value as defined
in the enum array of the field type definition.
What if, by some chance, all entries with one of the possible options
are deleted and i still want to make it available for users when
creating new entries to choose?

It is more beautiful in the aspect that I described, but then less
beautiful in another aspect...

any guesses without hooks? Or is it simply not possible the way I
imagine?

BTW: why enum_col<256?

TIA,
henning