On Saturday 22 Dec 2001 19:42, Gary Huntress wrote:
> I've just checked my IDE parameters for one of my linux mysql servers.
> Using hdparm -c -d I've discovered that I'm running at the default 16 bit
> non DMA.   I'm assuming that enabling both of these should increase
> performance, possibly significantly.
>
> However, I'm concerned about doing this 1)  on the fly with the server up
> and 2) doing it at all.  Can anyone comment on linux hdparm performance
> tuning for mysql and the possibility of table corruption?

I have found that using hdparm will either work, or it will hang the disk/bus
immediately. Therefore, you should NEVER do it to a live, running server with
disk I/O constantly occuring. Shut down server deamons, such as MySQL before
you use hdparm or anything else to tune disks.

As for performance, I have often seen performance improve by 2-10 fold when
proper hdparm parameters were used to tune up the disks.

So yes, it is very much worth it, but no, do not do it on a running server -
reserve a few minutes of downtime before you start tuning things, as you will
inevitably eventually push things to far and it will crash. Also never set
the -k1 -K1 parameters before you've insured that the settings will work, as
sometimes an automatic bus re-set will prevent a thorough crash.

I don't know what distribution you are running, but on RedHat, there is a
file /etc/sysconfig/harddisks where you can specify the parameters when you
are done with tuning, so they get re-applied every time the machine boots up.
Bear this in mind when doing disk-swaps.

Regards.

Gordan