David Birnbaum writes:
>       mysqld still seems to hang when nightly table checks are running.
>       Formerly, this seemed to be due to a race condition that was
>       hopefully fixed in 3.23.46.  Server is up, but all queries are stuck
>       in "opening tables".  mysqld is taking 100% of one CPU.  pstack and
>       other debugging sent under additional cover.  Database shutdown
>       hung, and database was ultimately killed with kill -KILL.  Tables
>       were all marked as closed, though!

Hi!

Yes, race condition in ANALYZE was fixed in 3.23.46.

But then, you do not have to run ANALYZE more then once, so there is
no need to run it in the nightly cron jobs.

Please, try using our binary  as building with GNU 3.0.* will always
have libstdc++ linked in. We do not know yet of what problems this
could incur, but it is better to be on the safe side. In MySQL 4.0.*
we have found a way to circumvent linking in libstdc++, so that now we
can set gcc both as CC and as CXX.

Also, please check that you run MySQL with --skip-locking enabled. If
--skip-locking is not enabled that could be a cause of described
behaviour.

Another cause of the behaviour could be a patch level of your
2.8. Please make sure that it has all Sun's suggested patches
applied.

A behaviour you described above looks most like some thread issue. It
is known that C++ exceptions do not work well with multiple threads
and it is also unfortunately true that with GNU 3.0.* some code from
libsupc++ (part of libstdtc++), which contains C++ exceptions,  gets
linked in.

That is why, once again, we ask you to try our binary.

--
Regards,