I've just downloaded and installed the rpm (to RH7.1), thus:

   # rpm -iv MySQL-3.23.46-1.i386.rpm
   Preparing packages for installation...
   MySQL-3.23.46-1
   Preparing db table
   Preparing host table
   Preparing user table
   Preparing func table
   Preparing tables_priv table
   Preparing columns_priv table
   Installing all prepared tables
   011226 12:32:20  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

   PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
   This is done with:
   /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
   /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h potty.coho -p password 'new-password'
   See the manual for more instructions.

   Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

   The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
   http://www.mysql.com
   Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

   Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

Following the instructions given on screen, I immediately did:

   # /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'mynewpassword'
   bash: /usr/bin/mysqladmin: No such file or directory

So I tried to locate my copy of mysqladmin.  I don't have one.  I can't
find any mention of it on the MySQL site.  Where do I get it from?

The installation seems otherwise complete, inasmuch as chkconfig now
shows mysqld in the right places.

Can anyone enlighten me?

--
richard