I've got a 3500 record database cataloging an art collection. The
data was originally assembled (by others) in Access. I've imported it
into MySQL to make it available on the artist's web site:
<http://maryloureifsnyder.com>.

The data was formatted in Access as one big table. About 800 of the
pieces in the collection are works in a series. In the artist's
catalog there's about 20 books, each containing 40 or so pages. The
original creators of the database developed a decimal numbering
scheme and simply duplicated most of the data in the records
describing these works. For instance, records 129.00 to 129.43
contain mostly the same data about the title, condition, storage,
etc. with only minimal (if any) changes.

My question is, is it worth the effort to normalize this data? If so,
what would the best method be?

Gawain