Hello!

I'm looking for opionions or advice about configuration options and
table type choices. We're into performance, we want to have the maximum
possible querys per/second, or as low resource usage as possible, for
the choosen codebase/system (linux+apache+php4+mysql).

Our primary (sql) server is a AMD 1.4GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 18GB SCSI.
Also a secondary server used for internal calculations. (crontab etc) which
replicates from the primary server.

Our application is "Community style"  (messages, guestbooks,
messageboards..)
where every .php-request generates at least one connection and one or more
selects, and possibly one or two inserts depending on the users action(s).

We have two load balanced webservers connecting to the primary sql server.
On these we have about 1000 simultaneus users on the site, which gives about
150 Queries
per second avg. at peak times.  We have heavy congestion on one table, the
one
with all user accounts in. This gives a lot of processes waiting for the
table locks,
and if we set a low max_connections this will generate errors. with a large
max_connections
there will be like 300 threads waiting for the same table once in a while.

We have tried running with InnoDB in this table, but this only creates new
problems,
as we have indexed TEXT columns, for example with the usernames in. We end
up
having a huge load average and 250 threads in "sending data" state.

What choice do we have exept a full code-rewrite and a redesign of the
entire
database ?

We need no transactions, or any data integrity at all. We can afford to
loose some data in trade for performance. (like a few hours or something,
which seems like a lot even if the replication whould fail).

Regards Johan