Did you do install "mysql" or install "DBD-mysql"?

Here's what the activestate page has to say:
ActivePerl offers a PPM archive of DBD::mysql. All you need to do is typing

  ppm
  install DBI
  install DBD-mysql

This will fetch the modules via HTTP and install them. If you need to use a
WWW proxy server, the environment variable

Now if you'll excuse me while i pull up my PHP "soapbox."
I find PHP a much more direct( and simpler) why to build
dynamic web pages (if that's objective is?), and the user
community *much* more helpful. http://php.net.

As far as the Perl side goes: try the howto at http://perlmongs.org.

-- David