Our site has been turfed b/c of an identical problem, and despite many
people reporting the same problem, no useful advice has yet surfaced.

Our site has been running for over a year (non-stop) with no incident.
Yesterday I logged on and noticed that mysqld was not accepting
connections.  After trying to restart the server, reboot the machine,
checking permissions, etc, I decided to try an reinstall.

Every type of install results in the process hanging at:

"Installing all prepared tables"

I have tried various RPMS and building from source.

After killing the process there are no tables in the mysql folder.

I have tried:
- checking hostname
- checking freespace
- making sure there is a mysql user
- making sure there is a mysql group
- chowning all files in /var/lib/mysql to mysql:mysql (including
/var/lib/mysql)
- chmoding all files 777 (and everything below)
- running mysql_install_db --user=mysql
- running mysql_install_db --user=root
- erasing all pids, socks and locks
- creating a /etc/my.cnf file with user=mysql

but I can not get beyond mysql_install_db....

Despite this I have copied in backed up tables into the mysql folder and
have tried to start mysql (even as root).

Error log says:  011230 13:52:55  mysqld started

Yet I can not connect through the client, or use mysqladmin status, etc.
Everything just hangs.

Any advice would be appreciated, our (live) site has been down for 2
days and it seems like the only solution is to go to our co-location
center and upgrade to 7.1 (or format).  Although having sifted through
the last 2 years worth of messages and seeing this problem reported
several times with no solution, it doesn't look good..

Thanks!

-mark

> I've decided to ask for help after 8 hours, two reinstalls, and
searching
> the mail archives...ARGH!!
>
> System 586, RedHat 6.2, MySQL 3.22.32
>
> Anyway, installed mysql 5 days ago, every thing went smooth with the
RPM