Julian --
There is the generic WHERE keyords ='%string%', but more to the
point here the link to the docs for regrex goodies:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/manual.php?search_query=regular+expression&submit=S
earch&depth=0

David

> Hi,
>
> I have recently gained access to mysql (new isp), and am converting my
> old text databases to sql ones. I had a text database with a field
> 'keywords'. I have entered them as one field, What I want to do is
> submit a query where I can ask if this field CONTAINS rather than
> equals a string. Can you use regular expressions in this way?
>
> I want to have something like
>
> $result = mysql_query ("SELECT title, keywords, description   FROM
> documents WHERE keywords='$word'");
>
> but with  keywords 'contains' '$word'
>
> a bit like keywords =~ m/$word/g in perl
>
> How would you all go about this? should I set my database up
> differently? Thanks very much!
> Jules

BASIC DBD/DBI Connect Function:

/usr/local/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use diagnostics;
use DBI;

$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:$dbname",$login,$password)
        or die "Can't connect to $dbh: $dbh->errstr\n";
$sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM catalog")
        or die "Can't connect to $dbh: $sth->errstr\n";
$sth-> execute()
        or die "Can't connect to $dbh: $sth->errstr\n";
$sth -> finish();
$dbh->disconnect();