On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:48:21PM +0200, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
: Hi!
:
: This is a feature (= documented bug). Look at
: http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html:
: ...
: Updated December 13, 2001: Added a note that you should not do an ALTER
: TABLE to a table which has or is referenced in a foreign key constraint, but
: use DROP TABLE + CREATE TABLE to modify the schema

Hrmm.  Is that a "feature" that's planned to be fixed.  Obviously,
if you have a table with thousands or millions of rows in it, ALTER
TABLE is a lot easier than copying the table to a temp table,
dropping the original table, creating a new table, and copying the
data back in.

Also, we've been using the DROP/CREATE methodology, and keys in
other tables referencing the altered table fail (they don't stop
working, they refuse to take entries, citing a failed foreign key
constraint).  We have to DROP/CREATE every table in the key chain
to get it done properly.  Is that how that's supposed to work?

* Philip Molter
* Texas.net Internet
* http://www.texas.net/
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]