This is my first post on this list, so bear with me.

I have a text file with 10,000 stories in it (about 130 MB). I would
like to break it up into 10,000 separate files and am trying to figure
out a way to feed it into a MYSQL database.

I have set up the database with the pertinent fields, except the
individual stories do not necessarily follow the same pattern.

For instance, almost all of them have:

Header
Publication
section
edition
date
page number
headline
byline
story

all separated by two returns, with each overall story separated by four
returns.

Now, I can load the file using fields terminated by "\n\n" and lines
terminated by "\n\n\n\n", but if, for instance, a story does not have a
byline, I'm in trouble. It will happily put the story data in the byline
field.

Am I out of luck, or can I specify text to look for in specific fields
as the file is being loaded, i.e. the date field is always preceded by
"Date:" and if no "Date:" is found, skip the field?

I'm using 3.23.44

--

Greg Peretti
web developer

The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together.
-  William Shakespeare