I've been looking hard at the FULLTEXT features of MySQL 4.0.1 on Linux
and 4.0.0a on Win32 and comparing it to MS SQL 2000 / and MS SQL 7.0 as
well as MySQL 3.XX.XX (latest stable release).

MySQL 4 on Win2K (dual 550 1gig memory) can crawl 90MB of data in about
5 minutes .  MS SQL 7 and 2000 on the same machine take about 3.5 to 4
hours.

MySQL 3.XX (the latest stable don't know the exact version off the top
of my head) took about 6 hours to craw the 90MB of data.

Some FULLTEXT seaches agains the MySQL 4.0 database where substantially
slower than MS SQL.

Bulk deletes from a table that has a FULLTEXT index seems to curropt the
table on Win32.  This does not seem to be the case on MySQL 4.0.1
running on Linux.