I'll try posting this again, because nobody has replied to it.

To put the problem more succinctly: I think there is a flaw in the mysql
LOCK statement semantics, because if I use LOCK then all tables that are
accessed while the LOCK is active must be locked for READ or WRITE
access (or insert, but that doesn't help me). This is done I think to
protect the application writer against accidently not getting locks that
are required. What is needed is an explicit way to allow a particular
table to participate while the LOCK statement is active, but without
locking it. I've suggested that LOCK ... table NOLOCK would be an
appropriate addition to the LOCK statement for these semantics--it
allows a table to be explicitly left unlocked. More details are
available in my original post, which is included here.

I would appreciate comments on this.

(If there's a better place to post this, can someone let me know that,
too?).

Thanks,
Bob