Hi!

I have a most peculiar problem with a corrupt table.

My situation:
I have a mysql server running with several databases, one of them a log
database that only have one table with several attributes. I have lots
of inserts into this table which grows continuously, now the table size
is about 400 MB. Every other day I'm running a batch file to remove
older log messages and to optimize the table (with OPTIMIZE TABLE
command).

My problem:
When the log database has grown over 250MB and I run the optimize table
command from the batchfile, I get a corrupt table. I can run the recover
option that only restores the indeces and the table is up and working
again. When checking the table I get the following result:

Checking MyISAM file: LogEvents
Data records:  784569   Deleted blocks:       0
myisamchk: warning: Table is marked as crashed and last repair failed
- check file-size
- check key delete-chain
- check record delete-chain
- check index reference
- check data record references index: 1
myisamchk: error: Key in wrong position at page 9251840
- check records and index references
myisamchk: error: Record at:  226899000  Can't find key for index:  1
MyISAM-table 'LogEvents' is corrupted
Fix it using switch "-r" or "-o"

I have turned on the binary log and whenever it fails it has not happend
anything out of the ordinary or at a special insert (i'm only doing
inserts). I don't get any corrupt table problems on a log database with
smaller amount of data ( < 100MB) and not every time I do it on a larger
database amount either but it has happend several times.. This problem
arise when running optimize table, but another time I was making a huge
free text search via the mysqladmin console. This was done while the log
database was up and running and inserting a lot of messages, then I got
the same problem that the database table got corrupt. It is very easy to
repair, but I would gladly find out what the problem is instead so I can
try fixing it. Anyone got a clue? I have only three indeces besides the
primary key, one on two fields and the rest on single fields.

THANKS!

/Monika