From: James Montebello [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 9 January 2002 1:49 p.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Replication and thread priority

We have a box that is primarily read at a rate high enough that a
particular table has a SELECT outstanding about 99.9% of time 24x7.
This box is set up as a replication slave, and the table in question
is replicated from another box.  It appears as though the slave thread
doing the writes has a lower priority than threads doing reads.  I see
the slave thread in the process list blocked for long periods of time
(hours), waiting for access to this one busy table.

I can't see any config option (except perhaps --skip-thread-priority)
that would alleviate this problem.  I'm not even certain this is the
actual problem at this point, since the docs are unclear about the
relative priority of the slave thread.  Empirically, it appears to be
lower, but I'd like some confirmation if anyone can offer any.

It certainly makes sense that the slave thread would be lower priority
than any other thread, except in cases like this, where it would be better
for the slave thread to have the same priority as non-slave writes (i.e.,
higher than reads).

Is there some option I'm overlooking?

james montebello

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential
and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not
disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error
you are asked to destroy this email and contact the sender immediately.
Your assistance is appreciated.