From: Matthew Darcy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 12:12 PM
To: Christopher Thorpe; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Sun netra's and MySQL

I have clustered Netra's together before using SUN HA and Vertias VCS.

I found for large content avoid the Netra X1 - more so for webstuff, they
run on a very slow IDE bus. They work excellently for say processing like
the middleware box, or actual webservers but disk heavy apps I would avoid
as the disks cannot keep up with the processing power.

The Netra T1, what a box worth while in every way, small VERY fast got the
new trendy prom cards as an option. Fast disks, excellent processing of an
Enterprise Sparc Chip. Great machine. Be warned though sticking external
disks on this is not as straight forward as other larger sun kit. There have
both got to internal HME class cards in which work really well. Oracle
didn't run to great with large ammounts of recrds, so much infact that a web
customer we had we had to upgrade.

take a look at smg.co.uk

this runs 3 webservers on T1's load blanced in hash format, with a alteon
load balancer. Connected on an internal address to a Sun 420R with a Disk
array running Oracle.

The netras run Java, PHP, sendmail, and a couple of other apps. They all had
512 meg of memory but where starting to strain a little.

Hope this helps.

Matt.