Clive Bredenkamp wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have about 15GB of xml files each ranging from about 400bytes to 4k (some
> exceptions being up to a few MB, but mainly small), and am planning to stick
> these files in a database for better mainteance.
>
> Does anyone have advice on the best way in which to import so many files or
> any advice on storage structure.

Howzit,

You would get slightly better performance if you stored them on disk and used the
database to index them. Alternativelly you can use the BLOB datatype to store
binary data up to 64k (or the TEXT type if it is not binary). Also, check out
MEDIUMBLOB (up to 16Megs) and LONGBLOB (Up to 4 Gigs) for larger files.

As far as import options go, you can either use the command line client like so:

mysql -h mark -u root -pblah db_name < input_sql_file.sql

Or you can write yourself a neat little perl script to do it too.

~mark