Hello,

I've just recently discovered a problem that I'm having a bit of difficulty
solving.  I have a MySQL server running (3.23.47) on a Debian machine and
everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to connect to the SQL
through tcp/ip sockets.  It works fine through Unix sockets, but when I
connect with tcp/ip, I get the following error:
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'myhostname' (111)

Telnetting to 'myhostname 3306' results in:
Trying 127.0.0.1...

I ran 'mysqladmin variables' and found that the port variable was set to
0.  I checked the my.cnf file and ensured that it was set to 3306 and then
tried starting the mysql server with the '--port=3306' command line
option.  After checking the variables again, port was STILL set to 0 and I
STILL can't connect through tcp/ip ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

--
Ryan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]